Fall Squirrel Hunt with the Daystate Huntsman
I'd just gotten back from a round of business
trips and had a free morning, a new rifle, and
a young squirrel season in front of me. So I
decided to load up my gear and wake up at
4:30 the next morning for the 1.5 hour drive
to a State Forest up north that I often hunt.
Even though I have several private fasrms to
hunt, I like to hit public land on a frequent
basis, enjoying the large tracks of ground to
wander over and a need to bring my "A"

I got to the woods just before daybreak,
parked the car, geared up and hiked about a
quarter mile into the heavy bush. I found a
spot that I knew was amongst several mast
producing trees and sat at the base of a tree
and waited, while the sun worked its way up
slowly lighting my surroundings. In the still
morning I heard a gnawing above and heard
a tree branch shaking. Watching for about
ten minutes I finally saw a squirrel head
through a cluster of foliage, and with my rifle
propped on a set of solid bipod shooting
sticks, lined up and squeezed the trigger on
my Daystate Huntsman Classic. A light pull
on the trigger which broke like glass, was
followed by the squirrel crashing down
without a twitch. First one in the bag, which I
collected and moved on slowly looking for
my next stop.

Fifteen minutes later I heard barking ahead,
and made my way in that general direction
while trying to pinpoint the sound. Then I
saw a flash
of tail being twiched about twenty feet
up on a tree trunk. I slid down and
brought the gun up while leaning
against a nearby oak. The squirrel
started running up, down and around
as I kneeled there motionless. Finally
he stopped hanging on the trunk
upside down. The trigger broke and
squirrel two hit the ground. I sat in the
spot waiting to see if another squirrel
was around, the one laying on the
ground had been barking at
something. A couple minutes later I
saw another one jumping through the
canopy. He ended up in the same
tree, and sat in a fork looking straight
at me. My croshairs were set on his
head and I sent the third pellet of the
day flying. This time, and I don't know
why, I missed.hitting two inches high.
Shaking my head and pondering my miss, I collected up my second squirrel and bagged him, then hiked at a fast
rate through the steep hilly terrain (not so common in Northern Indiana, but it"s there)! I came out at an
abandoned dirt road and move along about a quarter mile, when I saw a big fox squirrel on the ground behind a
fallen log scratching around the leaves, about sixty yards away. I sat down and set up my sticks, laying the rifle in
the saddle. I had a rock steady hold, and watched through my scope as my intended target moved about in jerky
stop and go movement. Then he stopped for a moment, looking straight away from me. Using the opportunity I
aimed with my aimpoint between the crosshair and the first mildot then shot, flipping the squirrel into a nose dive.

I missed one more opportunity a little further along, taking an offhand shot at a squirrel at 30 yards that popped
aroud a tree trunk and started barking at me. I sent a shower of bark flying an inch over his head, and believe I
misjudged the distance. At any rate, I was happy with three squirrels in the bag and as it was close to ten
decided to head home, shower, and take my wife to lunch before out daughter got home from school. I've said
this many times in the past, but its these short and frequent hunting trips that keep me energized during a very
hectic work schedule. On my drive home I spotted a couple other potential hunting spots on public lands that
I've never explored, and already started planning my next outing!
Jim Chapman
Lining up a shot with the Daystae Huntsman Classic (top).
Carrying a squirrel while deciding where to go (below).