Day I
An opportunity came up to get a couple of
short hunts in while away on a business trip
out west, my problem would be a shortage
of space as I had to carry a lot of clothes and
a lot of equipment to fulfill my work
obligations. But this is exactly what I had
Dennis Quackenbush build my Outlaw .25
for, so the choice of guns was clear. I
decided to take the Hill pump rather than the
little pony bottle that I had recently
purchased from Airhog, only because I had
so little time that I could not afford even an
hour to search for a place to have the tank
filled when my flight arrived.

My flight landed at 4:15 on a sunny Sunday
afternoon, and my plan was to grab my
bags, pick up the rental car (I'd reserved a
SUV), and be out in the desert for a late
afternoon jackrabbit shoot before evening
fell. I knew the area well and was pretty sure
I could pick up a couple of jacks quickly.
That was my plan, but things headed south
quickly.... my bags took forever to roll down
the baggage claim. When they finally arrived
I grabbed them and jumped on the shuttle
Â… to the wrong rental company! After I
begged a ride back to the correct one I found
out they had lost my reservation, and when I
went to get my confirmation number off my
palm pilot found the batteries dead.
However, after some searching they found a
suitable car for me, so things were starting
to look up. I got to the field at 6:00 with
daylight starting to dwindle, and unpacked
my rifle and my dismantled pump, only to
find that TSA (airport security) had scattered
parts all over my bag when they did their
obligatory search. So after a few more
minutes of frantic activity I located the parts
and got everything put together, charged up
the gun, slipped into a camo shirt and was

After driving a few minutes I spotted a rabbit
about 50 yards off the road that spooked at
my approach, but stopped behind a bush. I
parked the car and quietly climbed out,
picking a path towards his hiding place. The
foliage was fairly thick (for the desert) after
recent spring rains, and offered good cover.
About fifteen yards into my stalk he sat bolt
upright with ears erect, looking straight at
me. Bringing the gun to shoulder I lined up
the shot and stoked the trigger. The pellet
took him right between the eyes with a
crack, and the bunny crumpled. I hiked over
and picked him up, noting that the pellet had
done substantial damage. As I was
returning to the car I saw a second rabbit on
the other side of the road and started off, but
was loosing daylight rapidly. After a few
minutes of cat and mouse I finally got a
chance for a clear shot. Again the gun came
to my shoulder, but just as I was about to
squeeze the trigger, he took off. The last bit
of daylight had sunk away and was replaced
by the light of a full moon. Driving back to
check into the hotel, I saw several rabbits
which portended a good morning hunt. I had
a good steak dinner, wrote out my entry into
my hunting journal, and prepared for an
early morning.

Day II
On the second day I had a few hours in the
early morning to hunt before I had to shower
and head over to the conference I was
attending. I pulled myself out of bed at 5:00,
grabbed a cup of coffee to go, and
commenced the hour long drive back to my
spot. I had to be back at 10:00 and wanted
to make the most of my time in the field, so
had recharged my gun the evening before
and was ready to go. As my rented jeep
bounced over the washboard dirt road I
spotted my first rabbit moving at a stop and
go run, trying to cut behind the car about
sixty five yards out. I backed up fifty or so
yards and climbed out of the car, selecting a
path along the side of a wash that I thought
might let me intersect the path he was
following when I'd last seen him. But after a
quarter hour of searching and finding no
sign of him, I started back to the car. I
dropped down about fifty yards further to the
bank of another wash and trekked in the
general direction of the road. After a few
yards of quiet hiking I spotted the telltale
amber glow of the sun striking the ears of a
jackrabbit tucked under a clump of brush
about thirty yards away, on the edge of the
opposite bank of the wash. I was able to
kneel and still see him, bringing the
crosshairs to rest right between his eyes.
On impact he jumped way up in the air and
crashed down dead. Picking my quarry up
and quickly moving back to the jeep I placed
the rabbit in a plastic bag, I"ve found from
experience rental companies freak out when
there"s a pool of blood on the floor when the
car is returned, and headed off.
A Trip Through Nevada, Arizona and
California Deserts
My first rabbit was taken just before dusk on the day I arrived. I saw a
lot of rabbits in the headlight as I drove to my hotel, promising a good
hunt in the morning.
Kneeling down behind a bush and bringing my DAQ .25 to
shoulder, I can still see my target ..................................
A jackrabbit hunkered down under a desert bush, but with ears errect he
senses something isn't quite right.
I took three more rabbits with my DAQ Outlaw on the morning hunt. This
gun is a powerhouse, killing cleanly at out to 65 -70 yards. The effect was
devastating on the head and chest shots.